Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week #1: The Impossible Knife of Memory

      Book: The Impossible Knife of Memory
      Author: Luarie Halse Anderson
      Genre: Realistic Fiction

      Hayley Kincian is a senior in high school, and is battling all of the normal teenage crises, but her home life is far different from other kids. Her dad is being torn apart from his past when he served in both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and continually gets worse as he digs deeper into the past. She too is desperately searching for distractions from her unhappy past, but cannot resist the memories, and needs to live with them and accept them as part of herself.

      I really loved the writing in this book. Obviously, I found it hard to relate to the situations that Hayley is going through, but the author was so well-spoken that I found myself in the situations myself. The characters were very real, and there was a fair amount of character development, but as the book went on I realized that there wasn't much of a story and it was more like a lot of diary entries. This isn't technically a bad thing, but it did make the book seem a bit repetitive and drawn out. I recommend this book to anyone in AS, because I believe that we can all deal with the adult situations described in this book. It is very well-written as I said, which definitely makes it worth it read.

      Next week I will read "Okay for Now"      

                 TBR List:

  • Unbroken
  • Neverwhere
  • The Tipping Point
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  • The Maze Runner

10 comments:

  1. I read this book. It was pretty good. Your TBR list looks great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book, but I agree with you that there wasn't much a a plot line. I liked the writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like a pretty good book! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a good book. thanks for the sugestion

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may look at this book. It doesn't sound like a book I would like, but I may give it a shot! You described the book really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writing was good, the story was not. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good book! I will add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like your TBR list and i liked the way you wrote the summary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post was really well written but, the book does not sound like a good read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do reccomend this to people that have nothing else to read, but there are better books out there

    ReplyDelete