Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slice of Life 12/31

     "Out of the Easy" by Ruta Sepetys.
     This past week I read the second half of the book Out of the Easy. If you didn't read my blog about it last week, it is about a teenage girl named Josie who is out of high school and lives in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Her mother is a prostitute in a type of cat house, who neglects her daughter and doesn't put effort into being a parent. Josie co-owns a book shop with a boy her age named Patrick, and she loves books. She soon finds that she is on her own, and then tries to apply for college, and doing other things to get out of the Quarter.
       This is an amazingly well-written book (Ruta Sepetys always writes in a really good way) that shows there can be courage in something that isn't technically an adventure. I like this book because it captures the environment of the setting without describing everything in-depth.
        I recommend this book for anyone, and the reading level isn't that high. Again, this book draws you in, and I legitimately liked to read, and it is only about 300 pages. READ THIS BOOK!  

3 comments:

  1. I always thought that it looked bad. I guess not (NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! I loved it and sent it to my goddaughter (she's 13) as a Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the French Quarter in New Orleans. By your description Out of The Easy sounds excellent. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete