Monday, January 27, 2014

Week 20 Reading

      "The 5th Wave" by Rick Yancey
      So far (I have only read about half) this has been an okay book. I don't like it a ton, but I hope my emotions will be changed by the end of the book. A young woman named Cassie lives on an earth where we have been attacked by aliens called the "Others." There have been four waves of their attack on earth (using different ways to kill us), which leaves few survivors, and those survivors believe they are the only humans left. On the eve of the 5th Wave, which might wipe out humanity for good, people desperately attempt to prolong their lives until the inevitable end. Before I started to read this, I thought it was a book about zombies where there were different stages (or waves) of the infection or some thing like that. I sounded a lot cooler than what has happened so far though. Nonetheless, aliens and zombies are both overdone and overused, and I give this book credit for trying to be original with it's story, but it hasn't impressed me very much.
      You will have to read my blog next week to see if the second half changes my opinion, so don't decide whether or not you want to read The 5th Wave based on this post. It is very well-written (it is told from Cassie's prospective) and is captivating and admittedly creepy sometimes. It follows Cassie's thoughts as she tries to survive as long a possible, and as she finds other survivors (while trying to decide if they are real people or just traps that the Others have planted) and how they interact in the in-humanizing setting.
      I will continue to read this book next week. Good luck on EXPO everybody!  

2 comments:

  1. I have never read a zombie novel or anything akin to one, so this sounds like an interesting experience. Hopefully the plot becomes more interesting later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot of good things about this book and I haven't read any zombie books or anything like that, but I'll make sure to read your next blog.

    ReplyDelete