Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 19 Reading

     "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger
      Catcher in the Rye is a very different book. I'm sad that I wasn't there on Thursday to talk about the classic books, because of the classic books I have read, it is nothing like the others. It is about a high school age boy in the 1950's name Holden, who lives at his prep school. People told me the kids there weren't nice to him, which is why he left, but I disagree. He isn't a very good kid, and he does things on the spur of the moment because he has plenty of money and no intentions in his life. He leaves his school in Pennsylvania five days before everyone else leaves for Christmas and goes to New York City. He intends lives there for a couple days before he goes back to his home for Christmas break.
       Now I will talk about how it is different. So, what is excepted in society as a great book, generally is something that has beautifully written descriptions and a compelling story. That is what most classics have (except they are written in old English). Catcher in the Rye has absolutely no content like that. It is told in a way that it is as if Holden is telling his life story to a friend, like instead of writing it down he is casually telling almost all of the details in his days. It is odd and amazing in it's own way, and I do recommend this book to anyone that wants to read a very different book. It does have quite a bit of adult content/language, so it would be nest for second year AS students.
       Next week I will read the 5th Wave.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. Finally, a classic book with no fancy descriptions or anything. Seriously. Maybe I'll read that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good book. And I agree with Sarah with "Finally, a classic book with no fancy descriptions or anything".

    ReplyDelete